What we've been up to...

Monday, December 17, 2012

1st Christmas

Somehow it feels like our first Christmas this year, especially with a little, sparkling child to share it with! Last year with Hailey 4 weeks old, I don't think we put much effort into decorating. We couldn't even remember what we did last year! I'm sure it involved a short hike with spontaneous napping and I do recall having some pumpkin pie - I think... Hailey was our Christmas and we just enjoyed the joy of the day as a new little family.

Christmas in summer is a bit of a challenge, but I really wanted to make it special this year for my little family. We discovered a beautiful Christmas tree grower in the countryside where you can drive and hike through hundreds of free growing trees to choose from. I loved that this way there is no waste of trees that are cut and not sold, and they are as fresh as can be. Plus it's fun to have a hike around together and find just the right one. We settled in on this one in the end and he's just perfect and so beautiful sitting on our table out of reach of little hands. The smell is fantastic and such a special reminder and symbol of the light, hope, warmth and love the Savior has given to all.

Choosing our tree:






We only have a few ornaments, so I did some homemade decorating this year. A garland of bells and clay painted stars and some clay angels and reindeer and a guitar for Brian. It was wonderful to finally hang the Alaskan ornament Bill and Cathy sent last year from their trip. I also found this great little wooden soldier whose legs and arms go up and down when you pull a string. Hailey thinks he is hilarious and giggles every time we make him dance.


An ornament Brian made that I love



She is such a sweet little person! She fills Brian and my life with magic. This morning she came to the side of the bed with a big smile and started dancing for me. When I said I think I hear daddy in the bathroom, she started blowing kisses. She just adores him and the time they spend together. He has grown in such beautiful ways as a father and person. I love hearing him read her stories and play games together that are just for the two of them. She will sit on his lap, just like Santa, and look so happy and content just to be there with him. I realize constantly how every moment in life is a miracle with them. What a blessing! I love them so much.

I also am in the process of making them some stockings. I really hope they turn out as I've envisioned them, but it will involve a first real attempt at embroidery, which takes time, so we'll see if I can at least get them finished enough to be used!

No comments: