What we've been up to...

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Best Hiding Place Ever

I have learned (for the most part) now not to give Hailey important items to hold- especially just before a trip. She loves my little card wallet and I often let her hold it and usually this goes well since we're at home or somewhere where I can pick up any cards she removes with her teeth and distributes at random. Sometimes she never gets to pulling the cards out though and the day before our flight to Melbourne I handed her my wallet while paying for groceries. At some point between there and the car I realized it was gone. After 20 minutes of retracing steps and saying lots of prayers,  a man on a bench recognized me from my ID inside and returned it to me! Wow, so lucky.

The next morning came and I actually had everything packed and organized. Our flight was a little delayed which was lucky because 10 minutes before the cab arrived I realized I had given the house key to Hailey and didn't know where it was. We can't close our front door without the key- it literally swings open- so I couldn't just lock it and leave without it. No biggie right? It's a small apartment and Hailey just had it. Surely it would be easy to find. Three turnovers of the house later, patting myself and Hailey down numerous times and still no key. I was on the verge of breaking with the stress of getting us out the door and now possibly missing our flight and Brian's opening with a cab driver waiting for a half hour downstairs! I called Brian- the voice of reason when mine is gone- and he said to call our rental agent who has a key and ask them to come by and lock the door. In the meantime, our neighbours across the hall kept watch on our door until it was locked and we left for the airport, where we made our further delayed flight which was a miracle!

I never found the key. We checked into the apartment where Brian was staying when I laid Hailey down for a change and low and behold- there it was in her diaper. It had to get through several layers of clothing and down a onesy to somehow miraculously get in there. I'll check there first next time.

1 comment:

Mary Perriton said...

hahahaha. That is SO funny!