What we've been up to...

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Love Multiplies

I had one of those incredible moments when you can feel your life changing and your heart growing and there is no other way to truly describe it except to experience it yourself in that moment. Our son was about to join us in the next 20 minutes or so. I was in the bath, holding onto a sheet that was slung tightly around Brian's waist. He was sitting on a chair on the outside of the bath - my anchor, in so many ways. All I needed was him and that warm water. And like a moment of revelation, I was so full of love for him, for our Hailey and for this beautiful little soul just about to be born - and I finally understood how another child makes your heart grow and you love them as fully and completely as you did the first, but uniquely for themselves. I was ready to meet my son!

I did all the same things - walking, bouncing, eating pineapple and drinking raspberry leaf tea... and two rounds of acupuncture to get things going. But like clockwork, my baby cooked exactly as long as last time (11 days past the EDD). I was a bit worried about going into labour and having to leave Hailey in the middle of the night. She knew changes were afoot and wasn't handling it too well. Maybe my psyche knew it too because I went into labour in the very civilised morning hours allowing everyone a good night's sleep. I had been having Braxton Hicks for the past few weeks and as of that night before I was already at about a painless 4 cm! I woke up at 6 to a big cramp. Couldn't get back to sleep and decided to build a fire. Hailey joined me at about 7am and we laid down together by the warm fire with a pillow and blanket. By 8 I was having some regular, not so painful but real contractions, and called my midwife Helen to let her know. I talked to her again at 9:30 when they were starting to get a bit more intense and I told her we'd head into the birth centre in about 20 minutes. At this point everyone was awake - Mom and Brian - and getting ready to go. I was in the kitchen bouncing and stamping out contractions when all of a sudden they were 2-3 minutes apart for about 15 minutes. I realised right then that I could hear Brian in the bathroom shaving. I guess he was expending some nervous energy! By the time we got in the car they were back to 4-5 minutes. Of course we hit EVERY red light possible on the way. We got there and spent maybe 20 minutes while the bath was topping up bouncing on a ball and squeezing my crystals that I sourced at the Dinosaur Museum. We were laughing about this tactic but it actually was really helpful! The sharp points squeezing into my palms really took the edge off the contractions!

The bath was warm and wonderful and it took a moment to find the best position but it definitely helped with the intensity of the contractions. There were some (okay just a few) that weren't bad at all! At one point the midwife asked if I could reach down and see if I could feel his head. I hesitated at first, but then did and could feel the crown of his head and that it was still encased in his amniotic sac. He was born without my water ever breaking. I reached down in the water and lifted my newborn son. As he came up through the water the sac kind of melted away from him and I lifted him in my arms. I loved him endlessly already.

The midwives called it a 4 hour labour which includes the 45 minutes of placenta delivery. So wonderful... Still quite an endeavour but much easier than the first time in many ways. Perhaps because it was so much faster, I didn't get as worn out and was much more "present" this time. I also felt more confident this time because I was able to recognise from experience what was happening and when things were changing. The word "easy" is also very misinforming. There is nothing easy about it, only that it was less challenging than last time! In my preparatory reading a woman had said, "No woman should ever have to go through labor the first time." I would have to agree! But I do feel truly grateful that not only did my first and second labour experiences go really smoothly and naturally without incident, but especially that we have been greatly blessed with two healthy, strong and beautiful little children who have their own special light that I could feel long before that moment we met at birth. What a gift. We are so very grateful.

Hailey and Nana came to visit that afternoon. Brian held Dakota and I sat in bed as they entered. The midwives were talking to me and trying to get a signature for something as I was trying to watch my daughter meet her brother for the first time. I feel like I kind of missed it :( We were set to go home together that evening, but ended up having to stay overnight due to a tear that needed stitching. While I was off having that done, Brian got to spend some special time, just the two of them. A couple special hours that I know he will cherish forever.



Dakota Connor Corr is 3 weeks old tomorrow. My goodness, how time flies by in a blink. Mom was here for 4 weeks and had the last two to enjoy Dakota's company. It was such a blessing having her here for that time. We miss her and can't wait for our visit home in October. Hailey loves her brother, but is also having a hard time adjusting to sharing her parents, especially mom. We're making progress though and all learning together. That's what it's all about, right? Thank you for coming to us little Dakota. We love you.....






3 comments:

Marcie Tess said...

I absolutely loved reading this. Such a sweet and special family you have!

Mary Perriton said...

You certainly have a wonderful way in expressing everything. I feel so blessed to be able to share in your life's most special experiences. You are beautiful, your family is beautiful and I love you all so very much!

mamapickle said...

i am seeing this so late! I need to get on a computer more often. We all can't wait to see you soon!!!